Town of Rivière-du-Loup


Do business with the leader!

Although consistently ranked one of Canada’s top entrepreneurial cities, Rivière-du-Loup is not one to rest on its laurels. The city continues to actively support its economic vitality. Come join us!

An unmatched entrepreneurial culture

City residents have business in their blood. But you don’t have to take our word for it: the Canadian Federation of Independent Business named Rivière-du-Loup the leader in its 2016 ranking of Canada’s best cities for entrepreneurs.

How can a small community of 20,000 people rival major centres? Our approach is simple: an attractive level of taxation, a stimulating climate and unmatched access to stakeholders. Add to the mix one of the most beautiful settings in Québec, and you have a welcoming haven for investors from near and far. If you’re going to succeed in business, why not do so in an idyllic region that also provides the perfect living environment for young families?

First in Canada 

CFIB 2016 award for most entrepreneurial cities

A strong local economy

Quality municipal infrastructure promotes the establishment and expansion of businesses in our community. The city has established an assistance program in the form of tax credits for certain industrial and para-industrial companies, while various local organizations support and guide their growth.

In recent years, the city has invested more than $2.2 million to develop its industrial park. In this vast sand lot, more than 100,000 m2 of land is still available for those who dream of building something big.

tax holiday

5,95 $/m2

Partial or total

Very competitive land prices

An attractive, dynamic business district

Centred on bustling Lafontaine Street, the downtown area also offers attractive business opportunities. In recent years, specialty restaurants and shops have opened to capitalize on the steady summer tourist traffic and serve local customers in winter.

120 000 m2

industrial land available

A strategic crossroads

Rivière-du-Loup’s geographic location is also a major asset for entrepreneurs. Sitting halfway between Montréal and Gaspé, Rivière-du-Loup is also very close to New Brunswick and the State of Maine in the northeastern United States. From here, it is easy to get to anywhere by land, sea or air, thanks to the proximity of a regional airport, ferries across the river and the modern rail network.

This special location, in a natural setting with many blessings, also ranks the city among the fastest growing business tourism destinations of recent years. Our three convention centres can accommodate up to 1,900 people. For your business, choose Rivière-du-Loup. Everything in one place. Contact our economic development office now.

75 KM

110 KM

120 KM

210 KM

430 KM

1 hour 15 minutes

Close to

from the United States border in Maine

from Rimouski

from Edmundston, New Brunswick

from Québec City

from Montréal

by ferry from Charlevoix and the North Shore

an ocean port

  • Service du développement économique


    Créé en 2016, le Service du développement économique aide les entreprises ambitieuses à s’épanouir sur le territoire de la ville de Rivière-du-Loup. Il s’assure également de la mise en œuvre des actions prioritaires de la Ville en cette matière.


    • Accompagnement, orientation et référencement

    Porte d’entrée de la Ville pour tous les entrepreneurs qui caressent des projets de démarrage, d’expansion ou de relocalisation, le Service du développement économique les accompagne dans leurs différentes démarches. Il agit également comme entremetteur avec les organisations susceptibles de les aider dans la réalisation de leurs projets d’affaires.

    • Soutien à la rétention, à l’expansion et à la croissance d’entreprises existantes

    Première ville entrepreneuriale au Canada en 2016, la Ville de Rivière-du-Loup encourage l’innovation, la diversification et l’expansion industrielles, commerciales et économiques. Pour ce faire, le Service du développement économique offre une assistance personnalisée aux entrepreneurs. En collaboration avec divers intervenants socioéconomiques présents sur le territoire, il les aide à trouver les ressources techniques et financières appropriées dans la poursuite de leurs activités et la réalisation de leurs projets d’affaires.

    • Développement industriel et commercial

    Le Service du développement économique travaille continuellement à la promotion des avantages et des occasions d’affaires que la Ville offre ainsi qu’à la prospection d’entreprises qui pourraient caresser des projets d’implantation sur son territoire. Il accueille et informe les promoteurs intéressés, en plus de les orienter dans la recherche d’un terrain ou d’un local pour l’établissement de leur entreprise et de les accompagner dans la mise en œuvre de leur projet.

    • Soutien aux initiatives et projets collectifs

    Dans le but de trouver et de mettre en œuvre des solutions permettant de répondre à des besoins ciblés, le Service du développement économique collabore aux projets issus de groupe d’entrepreneurs et les soutient.


    65, rue de l’Hôtel-de-Ville, C. P. 37

    Rivière-du-Loup (Québec)  G5R 3Y7

    Last modification : September 19, 2022
    Service du développement économique
    The link has been copied
  • Calls for tenders currently open

    Pursuant to the Cities and Towns Act (RSQ c C-19), to award any contract for services, construction or supply, except as provided by law, the City of Rivière-du-Loup must issue a public call for tenders when the expenditure totals $100,000 or more. For contract values between $25,000 and $99,999.99, the city proceeds by call for tenders by invitation only.

    Public calls for tenders issued by the City of Rivière-du-Loup are open to all bidders who meet the administrative, legal and technical requirements.

    Public calls for tenders of $100,000 or more are published in the weekly Info Dimanche and on the Système électronique d’appel d’offres (SÉAO) website.

    View the list of calls for tenders currently open.

    (list of calls for tenders currently open, with link to the SÉAO fact sheet)


    Last modification : January 30, 2023
    Calls for tenders currently open
    The link has been copied
  • The venture path

     Section 1 — Where should I locate my project?

    The city’s planning inspector is the best contact person to advise you on where to site your project. He not only is well aware of sites available in the market but can also point you toward areas of the city where your project is already allowed under planning bylaws, and if necessary, to available land. A meeting with an inspector very early in the process for implementing your project can spare you many unnecessary steps.

    In some cases where city planning rules may not allow your project on a given site, that site may be grandfathered. In that case, the inspector will inform you about the limitations on the grandfathered rights and the constraints this may pose for your project. 

    Section 2 - Does the intended site possess the necessary infrastructure to accommodate the planned construction or use, and does it meet the required environmental conditions?

    If a street or water or sewer line must be extended:

    • An agreement on extending utility lines or a street must be approved by City Council. The inspector can help you steer your application through the technical services process.
    • To extend water, sewer or storm drain lines, a project must be submitted to the Ministère du Développement durable, de l’Environnement et de la Lutte contre les changements climatiques (MDDELCCC), to obtain the required approvals.

    If a simple connection to existing systems is needed:

    • The inspector will forward your application to the city’s technical section. 


    With the assistance of a specialized company, the purchaser should ensure that the site is free of environmental constraints, such as:

    • Soil contamination;
    • Presence of wetlands or a watercourse.

    Section 3 — What planning standards apply to my construction project?

    All new projects must comply with the planning bylaws in force. You should contact a planning inspector to learn about these BEFORE you apply for a permit. These bylaws specifically govern:

    • Outdoor storage;
    • Layout of parking lots and service roads;
    • Commercial signage;
    • Building security;
    • Spaces for bins (waste, recyclables, organics).

    Note that some types of construction are subject to the Architects Act.

    In this case, the permit application must be accompanied by plans produced by an architect.

    You should contact a planning inspector to determine the cases in which this requirement applies.

    Section 4 – Plans to perform work on an existing building without changing its current use

    You must meet with an inspector to check the planning bylaws applicable and obtain a permit for your work.

    If the building is located in the central district (Lafontaine Street) or in a heritage area, all work with an impact on the building exterior (including a change to commercial signage) is subject to a special approval process.

    • The project must be analysed by the planning advisory committee (CCU), which meets once a month. (Calendar of CCU meetings)
    • After receiving the CCU’s recommendation, the Municipal Council must pass a resolution authorizing issue of the construction permit.

    Section 5 – Your project involves a change of use of the building, since you are establishing a company with different operations than those previously conducted on the site.

    You must meet with a planning inspector to obtain a building occupancy certificate.

    The planning inspector will tell you whether the change in use requires a building upgrade under the building code to make it safer.

    If so, you will be required to submit architect’s plans detailing the required upgrades or certifying building compliance with the building code.

    The building inspector will validate whether the change in use will be subject to parking standards. A new use often entails different parking requirements. If so, you may be required to complete development work.

    Note that the installation or redevelopment of parking spaces may include a requirement to install runoff retention structures. If so, the inspector will refer you to the city’s technical services office which can inform you of the applicable requirements.

    If you plan to perform work on the building, section 4 applies, in addition to this section.

    Section 6 – An amendment of planning bylaws is necessary.

    You must submit a motion for amendment to the Municipal Council, which will make a decision based on the CCU’s recommendation. The fee for filing a motion for amendment is $20.

    Once your motion has been approved by council, the bylaw amendment process begins. The steps in this process are stipulated by the legislation.

    This process generally includes a public consultation and publication of notices to enable citizens to request that a log be opened and a referendum be held.

    In a “normal” situation where passage of the amendment encounters no opposition, you should allow two or three months between adoption of the initial draft bylaw and the date it takes effect (by receipt of the notice of compliance from the MRC).

    To request an amendment, two approaches are possible.

    • Expedited adoption, which starts the process as soon as your request is approved by council. However, this approach involves a cost of $1,000 for publication of the legal notices.
    • Inclusion of the requested amendment in a “biannual bundle of amendments.” This option is free. Two bundles are adopted each year: usually at the end of spring and the start of winter. To use this option, applications must be submitted to the Planning Department before mid-October or mid-April.

    For any additional information about your business venture, do not hesitate to contact us:

    Denis Goulet
    Economic Development Director
    Phone : 418 867-6625

    Myriam Marquis
    Urban Planning Director
    Phone : 418 867-6699


    Pour réaliser votre rêve tout en respectant nos règles, suivez notre guide !

    Pour réaliser votre rêve tout en respectant nos règles, suivez notre guide !

    Section 1 — Où devrais-je implanter mon projet ?


    L’inspecteur en urbanisme est la personne-ressource la plus apte à vous conseiller sur le lieu d’implantation de votre projet. En plus d’être bien au fait des offres sur le marché, il peut vous orienter vers les secteurs de la ville où votre projet est déjà autorisé en vertu des règlements d’urbanisme et, s’il y a lieu, vers des terrains disponibles. Une rencontre avec un inspecteur, très tôt dans le processus de réalisation de votre projet, pourra vous éviter bien des démarches inutiles.

    Il est possible, dans certains cas, que les règles d’urbanisme n’autorisent pas votre projet sur un site donné, mais que celui-ci bénéficie de droits acquis. Dans ce cas, l’inspecteur vous informera des limites de ce droit acquis et des contraintes que cela peut entraîner pour votre projet.


    Section 2 - Est-ce que le terrain ciblé possède les infrastructures nécessaires pour recevoir la construction ou l’usage projeté et respecte les conditions environnementales requises ?


    Si le prolongement d’une rue, du réseau d’aqueduc ou d’égout est nécessaire :

    ·           une entente sur le prolongement des réseaux ou d’une rue doit être approuvée par le conseil municipal de la Ville. À cet égard, l’inspecteur vous accompagnera dans le cheminement de votre demande auprès des services techniques.

    ·           Pour le prolongement d’un réseau d’aqueduc ou d’égout sanitaire et pluvial, le projet doit être déposé au ministère du Développement durable, de l’Environnement et de la Lutte contre les changements climatiques (MDDELCCC), afin d’obtenir les autorisations requises.


    Si un simple branchement aux réseaux existants est nécessaire :

    ·           l’inspecteur dirigera votre demande vers les services techniques de la Ville.


    Attention !

    Il est important que l’acquéreur s’assure, avec l’aide d’une firme spécialisée, que le site envisagé est libre de contraintes environnementales, telles que :

    ·           la contamination du terrain ;

    ·           la présence d’un milieu humide ou d’un cours d’eau.


    Section 3 — Quelles normes d’urbanisme s’appliquent à mon projet de construction ?


    Tout nouveau projet doit respecter les règlements d’urbanisme en vigueur. Vous devez vous informer auprès d’un inspecteur en urbanisme pour les connaître AVANT de demander un permis. Ces règles touchent, notamment :


    ·           l’entreposage extérieur ;

    ·           l’aménagement des stationnements et des entrées charretières ;

    ·           l’affichage commercial ;

    ·           la sécurité du bâtiment ;

    ·           les espaces pour les bacs (déchets, matières récupérables, matières organiques).


    Notez que certains types de construction sont visés par la Loi sur les architectes.


    ·         Dans ce cas, la demande de permis devra être accompagnée de plans réalisés par un architecte.

    ·         Vous devez vous informer auprès d’un inspecteur en urbanisme pour connaître les cas dans lesquels cette exigence s’applique.


    Section 4 – Vous envisagez d’effectuer des travaux sur un immeuble existant sans changer son usage actuel.


    Vous devez rencontrer un inspecteur pour vérifier les règles d’urbanisme applicables et obtenir un permis pour la réalisation de vos travaux.

    Si l’immeuble se trouve au centre-ville (rue Lafontaine) ou dans un secteur patrimonial, tous les travaux ayant un impact sur l’extérieur de l’immeuble (incluant un changement sur l’affichage commercial) sont soumis à un processus d’approbation particulier.

    ·         Le projet doit être analysé par le comité consultatif d’urbanisme (CCU), qui se réunit une fois par mois. (Accédez au calendrier des rencontres du CCU.)

    ·         Le conseil municipal, après avoir reçu la recommandation du CCU, doit autoriser par résolution la délivrance du permis de construction.


    Section 5 – Votre projet entraîne un changement d’usage de l’immeuble, puisque vous implantez une entreprise avec des activités autres que celles qui occupaient les lieux auparavant.


    Vous devez rencontrer un inspecteur en urbanisme pour obtenir un certificat d’occupation de l’immeuble.

    L’inspecteur en urbanisme vous renseignera si le changement d’usage entraîne l’obligation d’une mise à niveau de celui-ci du point de vue du code du bâtiment, afin de le rendre plus sécuritaire.

    ·         Dans un tel cas, des plans d’architecte détaillant les mises à niveau requises ou attestant de la conformité de l’immeuble au code du bâtiment vous seront exigés.

    L’inspecteur en urbanisme validera si le changement d’usage entraîne l’obligation d’une mise aux normes du stationnement. Un nouvel usage entraîne souvent des exigences différentes en matière de stationnement. Si tel est le cas, vous serez peut-être dans l’obligation de réaliser des travaux d’aménagement.

    Notez que l’aménagement ou le réaménagement des stationnements peut entraîner l’obligation de réaliser des ouvrages de rétention des eaux de surface. Si tel est le cas, l’inspecteur vous dirigera vers les services techniques de la Ville, qui vous informeront des exigences applicables.


    Si vous prévoyez de réaliser des travaux à l’immeuble, la section 4 s’applique, en plus de la présente section.


    Section 6 – Une modification aux règlements d’urbanisme est nécessaire.


    Vous devez présenter une demande de modification au conseil municipal, qui prendra une décision à la suite d’une recommandation du CCU. Les frais de dépôt d’une demande de modification sont de 20 $.

    Une fois votre demande approuvée par le conseil, le processus de modification réglementaire s’enclenche. Les étapes de ce processus sont dictées par la loi.

    ·         Ce processus comprend généralement une consultation publique et la publication d’avis permettant aux citoyens de demander l’ouverture d’un registre et la tenue d’un référendum.

    ·         Dans une situation « normale » où l’adoption du règlement de modification ne rencontre pas d’opposition, il faut prévoir entre deux et trois mois entre l’adoption du premier projet de règlement et son entrée en vigueur (par la réception de l’avis de conformité de la MRC).


    Pour demander cette modification, deux démarches sont possibles.

    ·           Une adoption expresse, qui permet de commencer le processus dès l’approbation de votre demande par le conseil. Une telle démarche entraîne toutefois des frais de 1000 $ pour la publication des avis légaux.

    ·           L’inclusion de la modification demandée dans un « train de modifications semestriel ». Cette option est gratuite. Deux trains réglementaires sont adoptés chaque année : généralement à la fin du printemps et au début de l’hiver. Pour se prévaloir de cette possibilité, les demandes doivent être acheminées au Service de l’urbanisme avant la mi-octobre ou la mi-avril.


    Pour toutes informations supplémentaires concernant votre projet d’entreprise, n’hésitez pas à communiquer avec les services suivants :


    Service du développement économique

    418 867-6625


    Service de l’urbanisme

    418 867-6699

    Last modification : August 23, 2017
    The venture path
    The link has been copied
  • Location search

    To properly identify the potential locations for your venture, we urge you to contact the Economic Development department (418 867-6625 or It will be able to assist you with your search and can put you in touch with the city’s appropriate offices.

    The Centre local de développement for the Rivière-du-Loup region also maintains a current, complete list of industrial and commercial offices, buildings and land available for purchase or lease in our area. 

    Last modification : September 13, 2017
    Location search
    The link has been copied
  • Lots available in the industrial park

    The new serviced lots are reserved for manufacturing companies and priced at the competitive rate of $5.95/m2.

    This price excludes:

    • Property taxes;
    • Non-residential buildings tax (NRB);
    • Water and sewer tax;
    • Waste collection cost;
    • Cost of runoff holding structures.

    Note that no special or sector tax applies.

    Special benefits

    • Tax credit program for certain industrial or para-industrial companies promoting sustainable development
    • Technical support and assistance provided by the city during land acquisition
    • One to three-room furnished apartments available nearby, rented by the day, week or month, as affordable hotel accommodations
    • High-speed Internet access (fibre optic installed)

    See the plan of Rivière-du-Loup's industrial park

    Last modification : November 4, 2020
    Lots available in the industrial park
    The link has been copied