Town of Rivière-du-Loup

Business ventures

Business ventures

You’ve been thinking about your project for months, if not years, but the time has finally come and you’re ready to dive in head first. Here is all the information you’ll need to start this great adventure on the right foot.

  • The venture path

     Section 1 — Where should I locate my project?

    The city’s planning inspector is the best contact person to advise you on where to site your project. He not only is well aware of sites available in the market but can also point you toward areas of the city where your project is already allowed under planning bylaws, and if necessary, to available land. A meeting with an inspector very early in the process for implementing your project can spare you many unnecessary steps.

    In some cases where city planning rules may not allow your project on a given site, that site may be grandfathered. In that case, the inspector will inform you about the limitations on the grandfathered rights and the constraints this may pose for your project. 

    Section 2 - Does the intended site possess the necessary infrastructure to accommodate the planned construction or use, and does it meet the required environmental conditions?

    If a street or water or sewer line must be extended:

    • An agreement on extending utility lines or a street must be approved by City Council. The inspector can help you steer your application through the technical services process.
    • To extend water, sewer or storm drain lines, a project must be submitted to the Ministère du Développement durable, de l’Environnement et de la Lutte contre les changements climatiques (MDDELCCC), to obtain the required approvals.

    If a simple connection to existing systems is needed:

    • The inspector will forward your application to the city’s technical section. 


    With the assistance of a specialized company, the purchaser should ensure that the site is free of environmental constraints, such as:

    • Soil contamination;
    • Presence of wetlands or a watercourse.

    Section 3 — What planning standards apply to my construction project?

    All new projects must comply with the planning bylaws in force. You should contact a planning inspector to learn about these BEFORE you apply for a permit. These bylaws specifically govern:

    • Outdoor storage;
    • Layout of parking lots and service roads;
    • Commercial signage;
    • Building security;
    • Spaces for bins (waste, recyclables, organics).

    Note that some types of construction are subject to the Architects Act.

    In this case, the permit application must be accompanied by plans produced by an architect.

    You should contact a planning inspector to determine the cases in which this requirement applies.

    Section 4 – Plans to perform work on an existing building without changing its current use

    You must meet with an inspector to check the planning bylaws applicable and obtain a permit for your work.

    If the building is located in the central district (Lafontaine Street) or in a heritage area, all work with an impact on the building exterior (including a change to commercial signage) is subject to a special approval process.

    • The project must be analysed by the planning advisory committee (CCU), which meets once a month. (Calendar of CCU meetings)
    • After receiving the CCU’s recommendation, the Municipal Council must pass a resolution authorizing issue of the construction permit.

    Section 5 – Your project involves a change of use of the building, since you are establishing a company with different operations than those previously conducted on the site.

    You must meet with a planning inspector to obtain a building occupancy certificate.

    The planning inspector will tell you whether the change in use requires a building upgrade under the building code to make it safer.

    If so, you will be required to submit architect’s plans detailing the required upgrades or certifying building compliance with the building code.

    The building inspector will validate whether the change in use will be subject to parking standards. A new use often entails different parking requirements. If so, you may be required to complete development work.

    Note that the installation or redevelopment of parking spaces may include a requirement to install runoff retention structures. If so, the inspector will refer you to the city’s technical services office which can inform you of the applicable requirements.

    If you plan to perform work on the building, section 4 applies, in addition to this section.

    Section 6 – An amendment of planning bylaws is necessary.

    You must submit a motion for amendment to the Municipal Council, which will make a decision based on the CCU’s recommendation. The fee for filing a motion for amendment is $20.

    Once your motion has been approved by council, the bylaw amendment process begins. The steps in this process are stipulated by the legislation.

    This process generally includes a public consultation and publication of notices to enable citizens to request that a log be opened and a referendum be held.

    In a “normal” situation where passage of the amendment encounters no opposition, you should allow two or three months between adoption of the initial draft bylaw and the date it takes effect (by receipt of the notice of compliance from the MRC).

    To request an amendment, two approaches are possible.

    • Expedited adoption, which starts the process as soon as your request is approved by council. However, this approach involves a cost of $1,000 for publication of the legal notices.
    • Inclusion of the requested amendment in a “biannual bundle of amendments.” This option is free. Two bundles are adopted each year: usually at the end of spring and the start of winter. To use this option, applications must be submitted to the Planning Department before mid-October or mid-April.

    For any additional information about your business venture, do not hesitate to contact us:

    Denis Goulet
    Economic Development Director
    Phone : 418 867-6625

    Myriam Marquis
    Urban Planning Director
    Phone : 418 867-6699


    Pour réaliser votre rêve tout en respectant nos règles, suivez notre guide !

    Pour réaliser votre rêve tout en respectant nos règles, suivez notre guide !

    Section 1 — Où devrais-je implanter mon projet ?


    L’inspecteur en urbanisme est la personne-ressource la plus apte à vous conseiller sur le lieu d’implantation de votre projet. En plus d’être bien au fait des offres sur le marché, il peut vous orienter vers les secteurs de la ville où votre projet est déjà autorisé en vertu des règlements d’urbanisme et, s’il y a lieu, vers des terrains disponibles. Une rencontre avec un inspecteur, très tôt dans le processus de réalisation de votre projet, pourra vous éviter bien des démarches inutiles.

    Il est possible, dans certains cas, que les règles d’urbanisme n’autorisent pas votre projet sur un site donné, mais que celui-ci bénéficie de droits acquis. Dans ce cas, l’inspecteur vous informera des limites de ce droit acquis et des contraintes que cela peut entraîner pour votre projet.


    Section 2 - Est-ce que le terrain ciblé possède les infrastructures nécessaires pour recevoir la construction ou l’usage projeté et respecte les conditions environnementales requises ?


    Si le prolongement d’une rue, du réseau d’aqueduc ou d’égout est nécessaire :

    ·           une entente sur le prolongement des réseaux ou d’une rue doit être approuvée par le conseil municipal de la Ville. À cet égard, l’inspecteur vous accompagnera dans le cheminement de votre demande auprès des services techniques.

    ·           Pour le prolongement d’un réseau d’aqueduc ou d’égout sanitaire et pluvial, le projet doit être déposé au ministère du Développement durable, de l’Environnement et de la Lutte contre les changements climatiques (MDDELCCC), afin d’obtenir les autorisations requises.


    Si un simple branchement aux réseaux existants est nécessaire :

    ·           l’inspecteur dirigera votre demande vers les services techniques de la Ville.


    Attention !

    Il est important que l’acquéreur s’assure, avec l’aide d’une firme spécialisée, que le site envisagé est libre de contraintes environnementales, telles que :

    ·           la contamination du terrain ;

    ·           la présence d’un milieu humide ou d’un cours d’eau.


    Section 3 — Quelles normes d’urbanisme s’appliquent à mon projet de construction ?


    Tout nouveau projet doit respecter les règlements d’urbanisme en vigueur. Vous devez vous informer auprès d’un inspecteur en urbanisme pour les connaître AVANT de demander un permis. Ces règles touchent, notamment :


    ·           l’entreposage extérieur ;

    ·           l’aménagement des stationnements et des entrées charretières ;

    ·           l’affichage commercial ;

    ·           la sécurité du bâtiment ;

    ·           les espaces pour les bacs (déchets, matières récupérables, matières organiques).


    Notez que certains types de construction sont visés par la Loi sur les architectes.


    ·         Dans ce cas, la demande de permis devra être accompagnée de plans réalisés par un architecte.

    ·         Vous devez vous informer auprès d’un inspecteur en urbanisme pour connaître les cas dans lesquels cette exigence s’applique.


    Section 4 – Vous envisagez d’effectuer des travaux sur un immeuble existant sans changer son usage actuel.


    Vous devez rencontrer un inspecteur pour vérifier les règles d’urbanisme applicables et obtenir un permis pour la réalisation de vos travaux.

    Si l’immeuble se trouve au centre-ville (rue Lafontaine) ou dans un secteur patrimonial, tous les travaux ayant un impact sur l’extérieur de l’immeuble (incluant un changement sur l’affichage commercial) sont soumis à un processus d’approbation particulier.

    ·         Le projet doit être analysé par le comité consultatif d’urbanisme (CCU), qui se réunit une fois par mois. (Accédez au calendrier des rencontres du CCU.)

    ·         Le conseil municipal, après avoir reçu la recommandation du CCU, doit autoriser par résolution la délivrance du permis de construction.


    Section 5 – Votre projet entraîne un changement d’usage de l’immeuble, puisque vous implantez une entreprise avec des activités autres que celles qui occupaient les lieux auparavant.


    Vous devez rencontrer un inspecteur en urbanisme pour obtenir un certificat d’occupation de l’immeuble.

    L’inspecteur en urbanisme vous renseignera si le changement d’usage entraîne l’obligation d’une mise à niveau de celui-ci du point de vue du code du bâtiment, afin de le rendre plus sécuritaire.

    ·         Dans un tel cas, des plans d’architecte détaillant les mises à niveau requises ou attestant de la conformité de l’immeuble au code du bâtiment vous seront exigés.

    L’inspecteur en urbanisme validera si le changement d’usage entraîne l’obligation d’une mise aux normes du stationnement. Un nouvel usage entraîne souvent des exigences différentes en matière de stationnement. Si tel est le cas, vous serez peut-être dans l’obligation de réaliser des travaux d’aménagement.

    Notez que l’aménagement ou le réaménagement des stationnements peut entraîner l’obligation de réaliser des ouvrages de rétention des eaux de surface. Si tel est le cas, l’inspecteur vous dirigera vers les services techniques de la Ville, qui vous informeront des exigences applicables.


    Si vous prévoyez de réaliser des travaux à l’immeuble, la section 4 s’applique, en plus de la présente section.


    Section 6 – Une modification aux règlements d’urbanisme est nécessaire.


    Vous devez présenter une demande de modification au conseil municipal, qui prendra une décision à la suite d’une recommandation du CCU. Les frais de dépôt d’une demande de modification sont de 20 $.

    Une fois votre demande approuvée par le conseil, le processus de modification réglementaire s’enclenche. Les étapes de ce processus sont dictées par la loi.

    ·         Ce processus comprend généralement une consultation publique et la publication d’avis permettant aux citoyens de demander l’ouverture d’un registre et la tenue d’un référendum.

    ·         Dans une situation « normale » où l’adoption du règlement de modification ne rencontre pas d’opposition, il faut prévoir entre deux et trois mois entre l’adoption du premier projet de règlement et son entrée en vigueur (par la réception de l’avis de conformité de la MRC).


    Pour demander cette modification, deux démarches sont possibles.

    ·           Une adoption expresse, qui permet de commencer le processus dès l’approbation de votre demande par le conseil. Une telle démarche entraîne toutefois des frais de 1000 $ pour la publication des avis légaux.

    ·           L’inclusion de la modification demandée dans un « train de modifications semestriel ». Cette option est gratuite. Deux trains réglementaires sont adoptés chaque année : généralement à la fin du printemps et au début de l’hiver. Pour se prévaloir de cette possibilité, les demandes doivent être acheminées au Service de l’urbanisme avant la mi-octobre ou la mi-avril.


    Pour toutes informations supplémentaires concernant votre projet d’entreprise, n’hésitez pas à communiquer avec les services suivants :


    Service du développement économique

    418 867-6625


    Service de l’urbanisme

    418 867-6699

    Last modification : August 23, 2017
    The venture path
    The link has been copied
  • Permits and Licences


    The City of Rivière-du-Loup is a member of the PerLE service that lists all necessary permits and licences to operate a business in Québec, regardless of which level of government (federal, provincial, municipal) issues them.

    Visit the portal for this service. 

    Last modification : September 13, 2017
    Permits and Licences
    The link has been copied
  • Starting a business


    The Economic Development department acts as a facilitator and guide for bringing your entrepreneurial dreams to fruition. From a simple request for information, through networking, to the search for a site to locate your company, we are at your full disposal.

    The following organizations can also support you in carrying out your project.

    Technical support

    Entreprises Québec portal

    Société d’aide au développement des collectivités (SADC) de Rivière-du-Loup

    Centre local de développement (CLD), Rivière-du-Loup region


    Rivière-du-Loup MRC Chamber of Commerce

    Financial support

    Property tax credit program, City of Rivière-du-Loup

    Société d’aide au développement des collectivités (SADC), Rivière-du-Loup

    Centre local de développement (CLD), Rivière-du-Loup region

    Microcrédit KRTB

    La Ruche — Proximity crowdfunding platform



    Last modification : August 23, 2017
    Starting a business
    The link has been copied
  • Innovation

    Innovation forms the core of the City of Rivière-du-Loup’s 2017-2022 strategic plan for economic development. Consequently, the Economic Development department encourages your initiatives and ensures that you receive personalized support for implementing your ventures. You may also find the following resources useful.

    Technical support

    Ministère de l’Économie, de la Science et de l’Innovation (MESI)

    Centre de recherche industrielle du Québec

    Innov et Export PME

    Financial support

    Ministère de l’Économie, de la Science et de l’Innovation (MESI)

    National Research Council Canada

    Economic Development Canada

    Government of Canada

    Innov et Export PME

    Scientific Research and Experimental Development (SR&ED) tax credits

    Government of Québec program

    Government of Canada program

    Last modification : August 23, 2017
    The link has been copied
  • Investment


    Supporting the growth of existing companies and attracting new ones to our area is one of the Economic Development department’s roles. As the gateway for various city services, we also strive to maintain an active network of contacts consisting of officials from various organizations, to more effectively support and guide developers consistent with their needs.

    Technical support

    Société d’aide au développement des collectivités (SADC), Rivière-du-Loup

    Centre local de développement (CLD), Rivière-du-Loup region

    Financial support

    City of Rivière-du-Loup property tax credit program

    Ministère de l’Économie, de la Science et de l’Innovation (MESI)

    Economic Development Canada

    Business Development Bank of Canada (BDC)

    Investissement Québec

    Last modification : October 18, 2017
    The link has been copied
  • Export


    The Economic Development department can assist you with your export ventures by providing guidance and referring you to the appropriate technical and financial resources.

    Technical support

    Ministère de l’Économie, de la Science et de l’Innovation (MESI)

    Innov et Export PME

    Financial support

    Government of Québec programs

    Government of Canada programs

    Ministère de l’Économie, de la Science et de l’Innovation (MESI)


    Last modification : August 23, 2017
    The link has been copied
  • Opportunités d'affaires

    Last modification : April 9, 2018
    The link has been copied